Favourite ever... Essential Mix?

Quadrant

I don't think I'm alone in taping Essential Mixes over the years... any favourites that stick out?

The Scott Bond one from 3/1/1999. I think its on this very site. Any of the live ones are usually very very good. I much prefer them to the Studio jobbies.

The ones from 1999 take me back to a time when i discovered trance and totally found myself musically. I remember the excitement of going to the record shop every friday with my part time job wage ( i used to get paid every friday - so nice).

At the time everything seemed new and exciting. This essential mix takes me back to that. Thats why it sticks out for me. I was 17 at the time...I'd give anything to go back to those days.

Have been some classics thru the years.

I remember a Steve Lawler Live E-Mix from Leeds a few years back, that was awesome. Also the first hour from OBW in Ireland in 2004 with Armin, some special tracks in there.

I can honestly say, i've never listened to many over the years - simply because i'm usually out at the time they're broadcast.

One of Jules's that sticks in my memory though was from around 2003/2004, when he played Dogzilla - So Damn Beautiful, and Solex. His mixing was spot on, and the flow was supurb - it was like listening to the Jules of 1999 again.

Not only was it one of my favourite E-mixes, but also one of my favourite Jules mixes.

What about Above & Beyond's Essential Mix, that was extremely well put-together.

Also Armin's in 2003?

The A&B E-Mix was excellent, they went the extra mile for that, something that more people should do with the studio based essential mixes.

Eddie Halliwell live from Cream a few years back was superb too, he followed on from a piss poor Oakie set & nailed it.

Jon O'Bir's set in Jan. 2005 was also superb

Danny Rampling left Radio 1 after his contract wasn't renewed. Gave up Djing to open up a restaurant, although he came out of retirement for the Ministry's 15th Birthday.

Favourite Essential Mixes

Tall Paul - May 1999

Scott Bond - January 1999

Guy Ornadel - January 2000

Lotherton Hall - June 1999

Judge Jules - Live from Manumission August 1998

Where did Danny Rampling go - he disappeared from Radio 1 after such long service :(

Yeah, his contract wasn't renewed by Radio 1 after they had a bit of a fall out. Danny Rampling wanted to do a few extra worldwide gigs, which meant him pre-recording a few Radio 1 shows - as Jules does - but Radio 1 weren't happy with him wanting to record so many shows, and Danny felt they were being awkward - so they replaced him with Seb Mundane.

Its a shame - I still feel that the best days of the dance shows on Radio 1 were where Rampling was there. After he left, they took the opportunity to shuffle shows around, and it was never the same since.

The Tong/Jules Fridays, and Rampling/Jules saturdays will never be beaten on Radio 1.

I really need to do another 2 hour mix again soon, it's much more fun & allows you to be creative with the direction & design of the mix. Having the monthly two hour slot I wanted to record loads of them but obviously listener figures are much higher with guest mixers doing their pull on the promo work and so I've not recorded a two hour mix for a few months.

Maybe after my current run of guest mixers is done I'll treat you all to a Tom Bailey Essential Mix style two hour radio show again :P

The Tong/Jules Fridays, and Rampling/Jules saturdays will never be beaten on Radio 1.

too right, they all seemed to flow into one another, if you weren't out on those nights this was pretty much essential listening.

After rampling left, R1 seemed to lose the plot...remember Yousef? Lottie? Seb Fontaine?

too right, they all seemed to flow into one another, if you weren't out on those nights this was pretty much essential listening.

After rampling left, R1 seemed to lose the plot...remember Yousef? Lottie? Seb Fontaine?

you'll never get radio 1 to admit that! lol

I'm dreading the day Jules announces he's leaving Radio 1/retiring. There's no one out there good enough to replace him. Halliwell isn't fit to shine his boots no matter how much 'radio grooming' he gets.

I love you guys! in a non gay way of course.....

the Scott Bond and Guy Ornadel E-Mixes from 1999 & 2000 were f***ing AMAZING.

As was the Above & Beyond one in 2004 and the Penduluum one, man we have the same tastes :D

If there is someone on this board who hasnt listened to the Scott Bond E-Mix from 1999 you should be ashamed of yourself! :P

Penduluum?

The Pendulum set was great, but i liked the ShyFX set better... to quote mr. Keenster from this very board: "you can play the set for people who doesn't like drum'n bass, and theres a good chance of them liking it!".

It's just so appealing to a lot of people.. great stuff :)

Im not sure which emix i would pick as my favorite, as there's so many great ones.

But some i really like:

Trentemøller - 2006-10-15

Christopher Lawrence, Live from Planet Love Festival, Ireland - 2006-09-10

Axwell - 2006-08-20

Paul Van Dyk and Pete Tong - 1999-04-04

I am quite the collector of essential mixes. There have been some quality ones down the years. Unfortunatley I think it's gone quite downhill recently due to a lack of consistent week in week out big name mixes due to Radio 1's new music/new tallent policy. Favorites include:

Judge Jules Retrospective 2001 - Fantastic selection of tunes from earlier in Jules career and didn't take the easy route of just banging out 97-99 trancers.

Ed Rush & Optical 1999 - High quality tunes (unlike this over rated Pendulum rubbish!) which really showed the direction of D&B at the time, and shows thier influence over the genre if you listen back today.

Mauro Picotto 2000 - Played two hours of the sound I was absoutley addicted to back in 2000!

Yeah I'd like to get my greasy mitts on that one too. Picotto's 'Lizard Man' mix compilation was pure class. Can't remember his essential mix but if it was from the same era, it'll be a banger!

i've got the Nukleuz Lizard Man compilation! The cardboard cover is getting a bit tatty but i was listening to this only the other night thinking; I bet this is rare as now!

Just looked on amazon and Lizard Man is going for 32 beans!!! even ebay will set you back £14...

Also anyone have "Tranceformer 2000" mixed by Picotto and Lange. Another quality compilation

Archived