Turnmills earmarked for closure

bigsteve

dunno if this spoiles the suprise but I'm sure most people trawling the internet could find out that The Gallery night is moving to Ministry of Sound! Randy Katana's diary has him down there at the end of May and Jules confirms it's moving to another famous London club in his diary report this week (but doesn't confirm the name).

Think it will be good as at least it will mean there will be somewhere for the likes of Armin, PVD, Jules, Sander etc to still play in London but hopefully they wont see fir to increase the door prices as some nights at MOS with Morillo, for example, are £20!!!

Any thoughts on how this might go down?

A lot of people - particularly Dave Pearce, have always said that the Ministry Of Sound is the perfect venue for Trance - but seem surprised that Trance nights aren't that common there.

I think it'll be a popular choice - just as long as The Gallery remain control over ticket prices, etc. One of the things I always admired about Turnmills is that they only charge £15 on the door (£12 in advance) to see an A-list DJ and around 5 B-listers. Other clubs charge around £25 for a similar line-up. If Turnmills can afford to pay the DJ's by charging £15 admission, then the others can too.

In the Ministry's defence about Morillo's ticket prices - Tiesto, PvD, Morillo and Oakie are the highest paid DJ's in the industry. Morillo's rider consists of a private jet - so they have to raise the prices in order to be able to afford them. I know for a fact that Tiesto charges a staggering £10,000 for a 90 minute set - hence why he can afford to drive around in an Aston Martin!

that is indeed a good point about the jets etc....so I totally agree with your points re: the gallery's prices and the amount of DJs you get for your £££ so I hope they can keep control on the prices, the only thing tho is a club like MOS draws people to it because of the name of the club as well as the DJs so I hope that doesn't mean that if the clued-up crowd stay away it just gets fuller of tourists and people out to get lashed...tho with their drinks prices you would need to remortgage your house to get wasted, hehe!!

Agree that Dave's Delirium nights go down rather well, I've only managed to get to one so far but the atmos was rather good! And if you look back in old mixmags etc the fridays at MOS used to have lots of trancey DJs playing.....fingers crossed it all goes well!

yeh i knew bout elephant & castle, i do agree that they should keep the prices the same - one of the best features of turnmills were the prices :winkthumbsup:

Never been to MOS tho suprisingly!

I would imagine that The Gallery will remain as it is. Unlike some of the promotors that try to book Ministry, The Gallery has been around for 11 years and is THE name for Trance in London - and that name has bene made even stronger with The Cross closing. The Gallery have the power to go to Ministry of Sound and say "We'll give you £100,000 per year as an upfront payment to lease your club every Friday - in exchange, we control ticket prices and DJ bookings. We can guarantee you X amount of pounds in additional revenue at the bar".

Any other brand would probably work along the lines of "We want to put on a night at your venue - how do we go about it" - and MoS will probably reply with "That's fine - you need our name to pull in your punters, so we'll give you %x percent of the door takings".

I would imagine that the Ministry of Sound need The Gallery more than The Gallery needs the Ministry of Sound. The Gallery is a proven Trance brand that pulls in punters - an area where Ministry of Sound have tried to conquer, but struggled to keep! The Gallery could move their brand to any venue they like in the UK and still be as successful - simply down to their flexible line-ups, the amount of DJ's they book that no other brand will give us the opportunity to see, good ticket prices, and the fact that they're in-touch and give the crowd DJ's that they want to see. The only other brand which does this is Goodgreef - and they're a rapidly growing brand too. The likes of Godskitchen, Passion and Gatecrasher give us the same old predictable line-ups - and they're not always very good with their ticket prices - and over the last few years, all three of those brands have struggled compared to previous years.

Hmmmm just had an interesting press email from the MoS, which is quite interesting as i've contacted them in the past - but never got anywhere.

"We'd like to work more closely with you in the future. We can't divulge anything at the moment, but we've got some very exciting news coming up for the Trance heads".

Hmmmm, I wonder what that could be then.... :whistling:

Archived