Ecstasy pills "safer than aspirin"

Neuro

North Wales Police chief constable Richard Brunstrom has claimed that Ecstasy, a Class A substance, is comparatively safer than legal subtances such as alcohol and aspirin.

He said: "If you look at the government's own research into deaths you'll find that ecstasy, by comparison to many other substances - legal and illegal - is comparably a safe substance."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7167102.stm

ugh, this just makes the lives for someone like me that little bit harder. You wait next time we lift someone going into Liquid in Peterborough with Ecstasy on them....

I can't say too much on the subject, other than sometimes, it's best to let the Police Press Officers do all the talking...

Thats just totally stupid but then he is Welsh ;);) . Sorry MikeW, just pulling your leg!

On the theme of stupid Welsh people :P I was watching Dirty Sanchez last night. Haven't watched this for ages but it nearly made me puke. They shoved a tube up Pritchards ass and then poured lager down the pipe so that it went... erm.... into him :unsure: and the removed the pipe and allowed the lager to go back into the glass. Oh, yep you guessed it.... they then drank it. Eurgh. No wonder the guy puked. Nutcase.

i love Dirty Sanchez (!) It makes me laugh so hard. If you think thats sick, watch the film and see what they do with Pancho's fat. Pancho basically has liposuction WITHOUT anesthetic. I actually felt sick (and it takes a lot to make me wanna puke) with what they do with the fat. I think there's a line an Dan Joyce crossed it. I shall not say anymore....

http://space.newscientist.com/article/mg17...dispatches.html

IS ECSTASY SAFE?

Claims that the drug ecstasy causes long-term brain damage are unjustified, psychologists said this week. Their review of ecstasy research in The Psychologist argues that reported memory lapses, depression and sleep disturbance could be the result of auto-suggestion, sleep deprivation or other recreational drugs.

Nothing concrete can be said on this matter from a scientific perspective because there simply hasn't been significant research done on it's use and it's hardly been around for centuries so that years of 'observations' can be evaluated.

Statistically it's safer than alcohol but thats only because of the deaths associated with alcohol are due to things like liver damage and accidents when drunk. There's always going to be the unknown with ecstacy because of the dodgy chemicals that can end up in the pills and the crap they bulk it out with. It just ruins you for days after and the night is, in my opinion, better without as you can [genuinely] laugh and have a good time rather than walking around like a space cadet gurning your tits off :wacko: .

Anything that isn't meant for natural consumption is a risk - whether it be legal drugs or illegal drugs. I try to avoid even prescription drugs of possible. I only take medication if I really really need it.

I've never touched any illegal drugs in my life, and don't even drink that often either. I can still go out and enjoy myself, and i'm safe in the knowledge that i'll get home safely :D

Thats just totally stupid but then he is Welsh ;);) . Sorry MikeW, just pulling your leg!

That's ok pal, no offence taken! ^_^

Brunstrom's always sayin or doin daft things & it comes as no surprise to me that he's finally made national news. Having a guy like him representing your area doesn't really fill you with confidence though to say the least! <_<

Isn't there a 1 in 2000 chance of dying from E for first-time users? Something like that.

I don't like the idea of second-guessing what is in pills... you could be munching crushed light-bulbs and dishwasher salt for all you know :)

that's the risk you take with all drugs. but it's the the worst, most stupid drug dealer in the world that wants to kill off his market.

if its a regular dealer selling to regular, then yeah, i agree - but in clubs, do they really care who they're selling to as chances are they'll never meet them again in their life?

Apparently this Police chief makes a habit of making outrageous statements such as this, he supports the full legalisation of all drugs & believes that the money spent on drug crime & related offences/rehab should be spent on new speed cameras!

Complete prick!

Thats what annoys me about clubs and large events. You get these big dudes walking round blatent as you like selling drugs of various descriptions. Surely the coppers must have the authority to send a few undercover officers in every now and again and pick these scumbags up. Clubs would certainly be a much better place without drugs for sure.

For starters, you wouldnt get randoms shoving poppers in your face and stumbling all over you asking if you want some. :angry: I get headaches from the smell of poppers in clubs.

Apparently this Police chief makes a habit of making outrageous statements such as this, he supports the full legalisation of all drugs & believes that the money spent on drug crime & related offences/rehab should be spent on new speed cameras!

Complete prick!

I'll second that! :lol:

I also heard that apparantly just before Xmas he scaled the scaffolding on the police headquarters in the middle of the night & broke in through his own office window so he could test out his own security/alarm system, etc!

Just one of his many brainwaves! :lol:

I'll second that! :lol:

I also heard that apparantly just before Xmas he scaled the scaffolding on the police headquarters in the middle of the night & broke in through his own office window so he could test out his own security/alarm system, etc!

Just one of his many brainwaves! :lol:

have you any idea just how thin the line is between genius and stupidity? I think he errs on the genius side myself.

Thats what annoys me about clubs and large events. You get these big dudes walking round blatent as you like selling drugs of various descriptions. Surely the coppers must have the authority to send a few undercover officers in every now and again and pick these scumbags up. Clubs would certainly be a much better place without drugs for sure.

LOL, no need to ruin my fun either mate ;)

To be honest I hardly ever take anything when I go out these days, but to say clubs would be better off without them is a bit close minded in my opinion. Like it or not, if half the club is on pills, then the atmosphere will be better, no doubt about it (and like I said, I hardly ever take them anymore, so can see it from both sides).

Aye fair enough, you get the odd retard who's taken far too many and is annoying (that should be left for afterparties ;) ) but from my experience, its really drunk people that ruin the night, atmosphere or otherwise.

With you on the poppers though mate, those days are well and truely gone haha.

And the "1 in 2000 1st timers die" is absolute shiite!!! Fact is, hardly anyone dies from taking pills, even when there is a dodgy batch.

Probably ARE just as safe in that retrospect as aspirin! (Well, almost ;) ) A lot bloody safer than alcohol though!

to say clubs would be better off without them is a bit close minded in my opinion. Like it or not, if half the club is on pills, then the atmosphere will be better, no doubt about it (and like I said, I hardly ever take them anymore, so can see it from both sides).

I agree tbh, i remember being in Sundissential years ago and i was abit worse for wear on alcohol and felt sick, it was one of those s*** im gonna be sick moments, so i ran for the toilets and ended up falling over a step and spewing on some big skin heads leg! luckily for me he was on pills and said don't worry about it mate and gave me a patt on the back! now can you tell me if that was someone who wasnt on pills whould they have done that?

For example i dont know say Gatecrasher where half the people are on something, the atmosphere is brilliant. Then say look at an Oceana or something, the atmosphere their is of people looking to pick fights. I know where i would rather be.

Totally agree with the 'beer boy club' comments :thumbsup:

I don't understand how a controlled drug (aspirin) can be safer than an uncontrolled, illegal, one. With aspirin, you know exactly what quantity to take as there's a label on the back. With pills you are left to judge it yourself and sometimes reliant on the people you are with to tell you to calm it. No batch of pills is the same as the next one, so its always a judgement exercise over quantities to take. Reaction times vary wildly too, making judgement even more difficult.

There is a risk with pills and the long term damage should really be studied more.

I agree with you totally Steve, how can you compare E's to Aspirins? you never know what will be in E's from one batch to another where you know whats in Asprin. I also agree with a previous comment about getting drugs from your regular dealer rather than Jo Bloggs in a club

but to say clubs would be better off without them is a bit close minded in my opinion. Like it or not, if half the club is on pills, then the atmosphere will be better.

I have to disagree with that to be honest. You normally find that half of the people pilled up are usually cabbaged and laying down at the back or sat sprawled out somewhere in a world of their own - they just annoy people because they have to keep walking over them all night.

It amazes me how many people pay £140 for global gathering tickets, but get so drunk and drugged up, that they're cabbaged at the back by 10pm and miss most of the event. What a waste of money!

I don't understand how a controlled drug (aspirin) can be safer than an uncontrolled, illegal, one. With aspirin, you know exactly what quantity to take as there's a label on the back. With pills you are left to judge it yourself and sometimes reliant on the people you are with to tell you to calm it.

Exactly! And at least if you do suffer a side affect of aspirin, you can just go down to the hospital and say "oh, I had some aspirin but it didn't agree with me". If you say "oh, I had a dodgy E that didn't agree with me", I wonder how long it'll be before PC Plod turns up....

You normally find that half of the people pilled up are usually cabbaged and laying down at the back or sat sprawled out somewhere in a world of their own

There is a small minority that get in this state, but from my experiences, this is only a small percentage. Unfortunately this kind of behaviour gives a bad image to the large majority that keep themselves in some kind of control - just <_<

Archived