Beatport 'Tax'

Max Kane

Been posted on various other mediums so thought I would start a thread off here. Beatport have added a new 'State Tax' onto everyone's bill at the end of their subtotal. This 'tax' is not included in the price of tracks when marked (as with cdjshop) but is added on at the end of your order.

My current order of 12 tracks is set to incur a whopping £3.58 in tax. They can f*** right off if they think I'll be paying this extortionate amount weekly. I hope they go out of business & will be utilising every other store I can before buying from beatport again

There has been no explanation or communication whatsoever, you log on as normal & bag tracks as normal then when you get to the checkout there's a little * saying you have to pay about 30p per tune tax.

What makes it worse is that beatport has such a monopoly that they'll get away with it, so many labels are exclusively signed to beatport & some tracks (namely all Pryda tunes) are not available anywhere else

What makes it worse is that beatport has such a monopoly that they'll get away with it, so many labels are exclusively signed to beatport & some tracks (namely all Pryda tunes) are not available anywhere else

Thats exactly why they'll get away with it. I noticed this tax yesterday when i did my weekly tune shopping on there. It's a disgrace it really is. I'm trying to find somewhere else to use, but i do think, tunes wise, Beatport has the best choice.

Been posted on various other mediums so thought I would start a thread off here. Beatport have added a new 'State Tax' onto everyone's bill at the end of their subtotal. This 'tax' is not included in the price of tracks when marked (as with cdjshop) but is added on at the end of your order.

My current order of 12 tracks is set to incur a whopping £3.58 in tax. They can f*** right off if they think I'll be paying this extortionate amount weekly. I hope they go out of business & will be utilising every other store I can before buying from beatport again

Well said tom ... Well if they want to lose good custom then there lose mate B)

The problem is, if they start doing this and continue to get business, then the others will follow in their footsteps.

The whole idea of the Mp3 revolution was the cost - but MP3's are slowly creeping up in price. Only a year or so ago, tunes were £1.25 each. Now in some places, particularly Audiojelly, some tunes are £2.50

That £2.50 is for just one mix. Now, a few years ago, you could get a vinyl record in HMV for £2.99 - with three different mixes on, so when you look at price vs value ratio, vinyl is the better value - and yet there are producion costs involved there (sleeves, the record itself, artwork, distribution, etc).

So, how long is it going to be before vinyl becomes obsolete, and then when the Mp3 stores ahve got us by the short and curlies, they start to push the Mp3s up to the cost of what vinyl used to be?

Someone is making some serious money on this MP3 lark - and you can bet your life its the producers that will be getting the smallest cut.

Folks'll just go back to free/illegal downloading if this becomes a trend across the digital stores.

That's the thing, like it or not it's going to happen more & more. Record companies & download stores continue to preach against illegal downloading & file sharing but it's their greed which pushes a lot of people to do it in the first place.

The whole idea of the Mp3 revolution was the cost - but MP3's are slowly creeping up in price. Only a year or so ago, tunes were £1.25 each. Now in some places, particularly Audiojelly, some tunes are £2.50

Ahh this is mainly because of the price of fuel and grain. It pushes everything up you see. The grain costs more so therefore the Beatport staff have to pay more for their food and thus the price of MP3's increases to cover their living costs! Pretty simple really. :lol::P

Sir Bailey I know you are a Beatport fan so it would take something serious for you to turn your back on them, but full marks for the post, I totally agree! I know Audiojelly started rinsing people for £2.50 for new tracks (they would drop in price later), but I hadn't realized Beatport were doing it too.

A real shame. Bring back the gigantic pieces of plastic!

I'm not going to discard beatport altogether as it's simply not feasible, they have way too many exclusives & such, BUT i certainly will be scaling down my purchasing from there which will mean a substantial loss of business

for me though, because i'm more into techno/house these days, Beatport really is the best place for those genres. Nothing comes close.

The way i se it is each download site i think, tends to favour one genre over the rest.

Beatport - Techno/house

Trackitdown.net - Trance/hard dance

Audiojelly - Trance

Xpressbeats - commercial club/electro house

dance-tunes.com - Trance

junodownload - techno

or maybe its just me. I tend to find that each sites i use tend to get different genre exclusives in.

Its annoying as theres certain labels only on dance tunes and 192 tops is just silly really, these labels are vinyl only too so a load of bollucks, either buy the vinyl or put up with 192 quality :(

Beatports just bollucks £1.99 for a exclusive and then 30 on top of that like I said I'll wait a month for the exclusives to become available elsewhere now, because I have a debit card audiojelly add 50p per order not per track, which Is fine, I wouldnt mind if beatport did that, ah well...

Archived