Artwork...

Wakey

Does anyone on here buy much artwork?

Basically I've been doing some stencil portraits for people recently as commissions. I'm thinking doing various bits and putting them in an online store as well as giving people the chance to have commissions done too. So, I was thinking, do you think people for example would buy a piece of artwork of their favourite DJ? I'm trying to think of ideas that I could do!

Here's some examples of work I've done, look forward to hearing your views -

2857601162_47b66ebaae.jpg

2885253718_ae02d9d026.jpg

2895883216_fe68ff2677.jpg

i do. I'm (still) into graffiti, which given my "situation" is a bit odd. Not the vandalism s*** either. I have a couple of canvas' done by local graff artists from Peterborough.

Someone has done some stencil graff in Peteroborough using the old Lincoln Barret (Hi Contrast) image. It looks cool...

HighContrast1.jpg

You wanna add some spatters and drips to the background aswell, maybe two tones and stuff. But they're not bad.

I think bespoke artwork of DJ's wouldn't sell particularly well because there are only a handful of DJ's who would be classed as being iconic. Images of popular musicians/personalities only really works when they have achieved iconic status. Turnmills tried to auction paintings of DJ's as part of a charity event, for Nordorf Robbins I think, and it wasn't as successful as they'd anticipated. The art market is a tricky beast at the best of times and my tips would be to develop a very unique style to your work and take on bespoke work, since individual buyers want something truly unique as a general trend. I have friends in the art world and if you can create a series of works, I'd be more than happy to talk to them, on your behalf about your work and see if they'd display in their US and UK galleries, plus sell online etc.

Cheers for the tip Simon. Will have a look into that and at your handywork too!

Moonman, I use a series of techniques to get them looking how I want. Find a good image and put it into fireworks on my computer. Play around with the colours so that they are how I want them then print out some copies. Two of the stencils above are two layers, the middle one with the grey is three layers. On each layer I cut out a different colour then when spraying the layers go on bit by bit.

It's hard to explain and took a while to work out how to do it as I just taught myself. It's the cutting that can get a bit fiddly! I think I've got some pics somewhere of some of the canvases being done. I'll look them out!

Oh and great drawings by the way Simon! :) Just had a look.

They never fail to impress. Has taken 14 years of practice though (when I started primary school and picked up a Crayola) :lol:

A lad who Im doing my Art course with does stencilling, he is a huge fan of Banksey. The most effort goes in to cutting out the appropriate sections, as you already know, so my mate uses really thick card and sprays through everytime he cuts a lot out just to check how it looks. That way you can finish with some really complex pieces.

ifind the art in Banksy's stuff is the message it portrays. It always makes you stop and think. What i dont get though, is if Banksy does something illegal, certain council want it to stay up, yet when a graff artist does a piece it gets cleaned...double standards?

Banksy was my inspiration to get into artwork actually. I've been a huge fan of his work for years, think it's the style and the messages that they portray that I like. I know what you mean about the double standards though. I also think it's a shame when people try to sell the walls that he's painted, street art should stay on the street and all that!

• 2 weeks later...