My A2-Level Product Design Project

simonross46

Since I started doing my A-Levels (and my GCSE's for that matter) I have had to do coursework, and for Graphics this means doing an entire project from scratch for a year. Last year I designed and prototyped a Youth Centre for a local village (which was later used as a real proposal) and this year I have decided to design a product, and I felt I would enjoy the project most by doing something I am genuinely interested in, so I decided to design and make my own CDJ. I had to give a reason to design one, so my arguement was that to have a decent CDJ these days it means spending a lot of money (I worked out an average of roughly £500) so the idea of this is to have something which is basic, but not too basic that a professional can't use it - thus making it cheaper.

The interesting part to these projects is that they have to be done for real life clients. Last year was the local village council, this year I have actually got Jules to be my client (I asked him right at the start of the project, and will have to get feedback from him soon). I also asked 'Chaz Dos Santos' and a DJ from America. It was so long ago they probably don't remember, but if need be I can make up some comments to suit the project ;)

A little less of my chat though, and here is a photo diary of what I have done so far. I can't really be bothered resizing photos so if they do come up large then I do apologise:

-------------------------------------------------------

One large sheet of MDF (supplied by Homebase) along with working drawings of my design

DSCF0302.jpg

I then made a basic box and sanded the edges

DSC07905.jpg

Two pieces of MDF were glued together and sanded to form the CD slot panel

DSC07934.jpg

A CAM machine then drilled the slot for CD's to go in/out ....

DSC07939.jpg

.... and this CAM machine also drilled the rear panel (dirtier machine this time)

DSC08042.jpg

A jog wheel was cut out by the CAM machine and the edges were angled on a special sanding machine

DSC07987.jpg

Other panels were then cut to go on the surface of the box

DSC07964.jpg

All gaps were then filled

DSC08038.jpg

Then I had something that looked more like a CDJ (photos complete with 3D drawings)

DSC08058.jpg

DSC08062.jpg

DSC08065.jpg

I then created a basic jog wheel mechanism

DSC08068.jpg

The entire model was then primered (leaving the space for the LCD screen blank)

DSC08149.jpg

I then masked the model ready for the black to be sprayed

DSC08167.jpg

Then the model was placed in a venting machine and sprayed black in about 3 sessions

DSC08171.jpg

DSC08177.jpg

... because I messed up one of the corners using the venting machine (couldn't reach an area that needed spraying, and resulted in many paint run marks) I took the model outside to spray and did the underside whilst I was there

DSC08186.jpg

Once all the paint was dry I could remove the masking tape from earlier. Some edges need touching up with a small brush, and apart from a little overspray that has made its way onto one of the center sections, it's come out alright. Now the colour design is more aparent, and is closer to the real design.

DSC08192.jpg

DSC08193.jpg

---------------------

The project continues on Page 2

---------------------

Well I worked out an average using a huge selection of CDJ's on the market, but obviously it won't be completely accurate because I didn't have the effort to put in each and every CDJ available. It is just an average of the prices alone, not to say that 'for a good CDJ you must pay at least this' since it comes down to personal preference. Basically for a reasonably good CDJ you will be looking at paying a considerable amount for each one. This average also allows my project to go ahead ;)

I can see this might spark off a huge debate, so please don't be tempted to put forward an opinion on the price issue. If need be I would be grateful if someone made another thread.

I removed the masking tape today, and all is looking good but I need to do some touching up in areas. I will probably post a new photo up when its all sprayed properly with silver areas too.

Thanks for the interest so far people :)

Since this a prototype model it won't have any working parts other than the spinning jog wheel. A friend did suggest fitting clear acrylic side panels and filling the CDJ with wires, but this was suggested after I had sealed the box :rolleyes: It's possible to make a working LCD screen, but what I plan to do is print out my own screen, and lay a sheet of clear acrylic on top of that in the space I made earlier on in the project. I also wanted to have a sliding BPM adaptor, but I realised I had not made the appropriate slots for it as I was spraying, so i might use the CAM machine to cut a line and rest a fader in the gap (if that makes sense?)

Next is to spray the raised center sections silver (more masking required) and also to spray the jog wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

The project continues .....

..... Once the black areas had been sprayed I realised I had to sort out the BPM fader, so I had to drill that section manually and repaint the gap

DSC08202.jpg

DSC08211.jpg

With the BPM slot sorted I carried on with my spraying, this time getting the centre sections sprayed silver (with lots of troublesome Y11's saying I have been made redundant even though I haven't, they learnt the word that day)

DSC08216.jpg

DSC08219.jpg

I then painted the rear panel by hand because it was too small and precise to spray in sections

DSC08229.jpg

... and I added two gold dots for the mains port. If I had a longer drill piece at the time I would have engraved this properly.

DSC08230.jpg

To finish off the rear panel I had to make the metal ports for the input/output leads. These were made from an aluminium rod which I span on an offset lathe (creating a brushed surface coincidentally as the discs were cut)

DSC08235.jpg

I then drilled larger holes into my aluminium discs so they were closer to looking like wire ports

DSC08237.jpg

An LCD screen was designed and printed onto photo paper, and glued into the space provided

DSC08240.jpg

I also cut a CD in half which was then stuck into the CD slot (see if you can work out the problem which is related to this CD, and its not an obvious one!!! It will be revealed at a later date)

DSC08245.jpg

Now with the Easter Holidays starting, and the FINAL deadline being the Friday back .... I made some vinyl logos (since I cant do these at home at all). These were cut with a Roland Camm 1 in about 5 seconds each, and applied by me in about 2 hours (it was sh!t scary)

DSC08247.jpg

DSC08249.jpg

---------------------

Scroll down this page to see the end of the project

---------------------

Archived