Living abroad

Briggsy

Has anyone here any experience of living abroad? I know Tim has, but he's rarely on these days so probably won't see this thread for a while :(

Its something i've wanted to do for a while, and now the time is right because i'm really unhappy here at the moment, and its time to move on.

I'm looking at Spain ideally - not mainland - probably one of the islands.

Does anyone have any ideas of property rental costs? The kind of salaries people earn, etc?

I'm a qualified IT technician now, and its an internationally recognised qualification, so that's the route i'm hoping to go down, and if needs be, i'm prepared to do some additional bar work or similar to get some extra earnings. I don't mind grafting if its worthwhile :D

Any help would be much appreciated - preferably ASAP because I want to get something sorted pretty quickly.

I looked into it, and I learned to speak Spanish, I also learned some of the laws regarding property and some of the wages I could expect to earn if I went there, I would have been just as I am now basically but in Sunshine and with the possibility of my children having a better life, except their summer holidays are much much longer and that would have been the time that I would need to spend working the most. Anyway that all fell through due to the company I was working for ( and a couple of other unexpected hitches). Also shortly after I looked into it, the property prices over there soared as millions of people started watching 'place in the sun' etc etc and doing the same, but without even learning about the culture they would be moving to. I love it.

Healthcare is a concern though unless you can afford it, I would have been working for the Spanish Bupa so I woulda been ok, but I know alot of people who haven't been ok on that front. I also know people who live in hiddeous areas taken over by English people who whinge about spanish food, everything closing at siesta, the fact not all spaniards speak English and it gets too hot in the summer. FFS!! Don't become one of those!

I love Southern Spain, I have been there loads, it's my favourite place on this planet, when I step of the plane in Almeria Airport I feel as though I have gone home. The Spanish Islands are a little different they can also get quite Humid at times, which I don't like at all. Not sure what call they have for IT consultants as it's not my trade. Spain is a big country and differs all over, it's also worth remembering it's very different living and working somewhere than it is being on Holiday somewhere. It sounds obvious, but not everyone looks at it that way.

If I had the chance again, I would move there in an instant. :)

Also remember, some Spanish people will not like you for being English, just the same as some English people do not like Foreigners taking their homes in our Country. Particularly ones who don't integrate. :o

I can't help thinking though Briggsy, you would be more suited to Australia.

Anyway................................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Youtube Video ->

My favourite Youtube video, just look at it, awww I can actually feel like I am there!

You can get a minimum wage job fruit packing easy in Andalucia.

But you can't say JIF! :)

I also know people who live in hiddeous areas taken over by English people who whinge about spanish food, everything closing at siesta, the fact not all spaniards speak English and it gets too hot in the summer. FFS!! Don't become one of those!

I wouldn't become one of those for definate. Thats the one thing that annoys me about the foreigners that come over here - they come over, but aren't prepared to fit in and accept our lifestyles, traditions and languages. If I went abroad, i'd be happy to learn the lingo and live their way of life. If people move to another country just expecting perks or sunshine, then they've gone for the wrong reasons.

it's very different living and working somewhere than it is being on Holiday somewhere. It sounds obvious, but not everyone looks at it that way.

Yeah I appreciate that too. An old ex became a rep thinking it was going to be sunshine and chilled-out relaxing every day, but when she realised she had to graft for her money, she gave up after 6 months (and it is graft too - reps get a pretty raw deal).

I'm quite happy to work and put the hours in and do as I would here. The thing that appeals to me about going abroad is that it leaves s***hole England behind, plus the good weather makes everyone so more upbeat and friendlier. People in the UK are so much happier and friendlier when its hot and sunny - but as its miserable here most of the time, so are the people.

There's too much negativity over here now - so some overseas positive vibes would be ideal at the moment :D

I can't help thinking though Briggsy, you would be more suited to Australia.

To be honest, i'd love to - Australia is a place i've always wanted to go to, and will always be top of my list of "things to do before I die". I've got a phobia of flying though, so the 24 hours would kill me. Anything over a 2 hour flight and I start to get edgy. 4 hours is my maximum. The only other obstacle is my dads health - he's been ill for the past 4 years after having kidney failure, 3 major heart attacks, etc - so should anything happen and I need to get home quick, at least Spain is only 2 hours away and cheap too - so I could be back homer within hours. Getting back from Australia would be a nightmare due to the time it takes plus the costs involved.

My dad almost went there to live about 40 years ago - before he'd got married and had me. Him and my two uncles were all set to go and had everything prepared. They'd got jobs sorted, they'd got aplace to live, got all the relevant paperwork sorted- but they all agreed that if they went, then all three went - and if one pulled out, they all pulled out. On the day they went to fly out, one of my uncles started panicking and had second thoughts - so then they pulled out.

My sister in law's friend moved out there 2 years ago and loves it. She was an NHS heart nurse at a Coventry hospital - but got sick and tired of NHS beurocracy and statistics that the Labour government introduced - so she decided to move over to Australia with her husband. They're screaming out for British doctors and nurses because, apparently, ours are trained to a higher level than theirs - so off she went.

My Auntie has a fear of flying, a severe fear of flying but her sister moved to Oz and so my nan (their mum) could visit she did the flight. You can get medication for it ya know.

most things these days are solvable!!

My cousins still live in Oz!

i've contemplated it. If i was to move, id consider Canada or one of the scandanavian countries. One of my old school mates now lives in Thailand and he loves it. He does IT work there. I do actually have a lad i grew up with who moved to Holland, and he loves it. Its something i would like to do, i dont want to et to 50 and think "i spent all my life living in England"...

I would recommend Spain in a flash, but then I am very biased of course having lived there for a solid 13 months. The most important thing to bring with you is mental strength - with servings of extreme patience, adaptability, and curiosity for cultural difference. It is a massive, massive, decision to up-sticks and leave the UK and you must be 100% committed to stick out a set time to extract the most from your experiment.

The Spanish believe that their language is the most important and widely-spoken in the world and therefore there is no need to consciously learn another one. Curiously, the English think the same, so there is a good chance if you step out of the tourist bubble in Spain and experience the real life there, that communication will be difficult unless you know the lingo, which can be extremely frustrating! You cannot just "pick up" a language when abroad; you must completely submerge yourself entirely in the culture and media and way of life, and have (somewhat expensive) lessons too... easier said than done!

Living in another country is quite difficult if you've not travelled a lot before, but it is highly rewarding when it works. The people you meet, the mistakes you learn from, the bizarre experiences you have - they are memories for life. I say go for it. Have some capital behind you if it doesn't go according to plan, and buy a ticket. I'd aim for a short stay of a month, and if you are enjoying it, extend it for longer. If it works, then I'll come visit and get drunk with you! If it doesn't, at least you can go home with your head high knowing you actually gave it your best shot, which is more than can be said for most.

You'll come back a better person, more balanced, more culturally aware, and you might just find yourself appreciating how tremendously lucky we all are over here... :)

Archived