CDJ Investment Dilemma ...

simonross46

Right then, most people know I have been saving up to buy my CDJ's. These are for me to use and practice with whilst I am at University in September, so I want to get them ordered soon.

Because I am going to be keeping them at University, I don't want to spend very much incase they come damaged/stolen/whatever. I also can't really afford to because of my car needing some money as well.

I plan to order from a proper site (not Ebay) so I can be sure I get what I need, and also a full package deal. This is what I have been looking at, and I think it's a very reasonable price also:

http://www.decks.co.uk/package/Citronic_MP...rk_DM1050_20830

What do we think. Are there any other CDJ's that are recommended within a similar price range? I could do with some reliable feedback because it is a fair bit of money that I'm spending so I want something thats right! :lol:

to me CDJ's are CDJ's. They're all pretty much the same, unlike turntables. I still think Traktor and a midi controller would be a thought though. Have you thought about the CDJ-200's? They're very good, they just dont have the "vinyl" scratch features. Failing that, Denon's are supposed to be pretty good. But yes, i would maybe look into the CDJ200's, you get the pioneer layout and quality (plus the badge) for a fraction of the price. You have to ask yourself, can you live without vinyl mode?

Of course, i'm not a CDJ afficionado. I prefer technics/laptop setup. Always have, always will.

CDJ 200's are my other option, but a package with those costs quite a lot, and cos I'm taking them to University I dunno if I would want to risk having such expensive kit in my room. But I know if I got those I wouldnt ever need to buy another set of CDJ's unless they broke, cos like you say, they have that Pioneer layout.

These are the same as mine, difference being these will play mp3 cd's which mine wont.

I reiterate my Citronic CDJ's are solid pieces of kit, the wheel is indeed touch sensitive, bugger it I'll record a video to them off to you tomorrow, so you can see what they can do before buying :D

Nice one man, that would be ideal. I know you a Citronic chap so I knew you would be able to share a lot of knowledge. I saw a video about the touch sensitive jog wheel and I am rather fond of it, but will be cool to see what else Citronic are capable of!!! :)

I reckon Numark Axis 9 CD decks are definately worth looking at if you're on a budget. I think they are about £200-£250 each & they have about 16 on-board effects as well.

I have one at home that I mess about with & it's excellent for if you enjoy your effects, etc :)

CDJ-200's are nasty. The jog wheel is far too sensitive, and the pitch accuracy is about as close as playing darts and aiming for the bullseye whilst blindfolded.

To be honest Simon, i'd hang on a few months - all DJ equipment is around 30% more than it was a year ago due to the weak pound - but the pound is slowly becoming stronger again now, so if that continues, within the next 2-3 months, we should see CDJ's drop quite a bit in price again. You'll be able to get something better than for the same amount as you'd be spending now.

they are ok for the price id say........but dj gear and any other stuff for that matter is now £150 more expensive than it used to be.....i remember when pioneer cdj 1000's was £700....there now £899

basically with a cdj you want the highest pitch resolution possible, any lower than 0.5% its gona make it a pain in the arse when it comes with mixing and beat matching tracks as you will have to keep overcorrecting and compensating the tracks.

think of it as like belt drive turntables....they are great for just playing records on, but an absolute pain in the arse to mix on, cos in essence its a belt that just makes the turntable go round and any slightest touch will stop the platter.

i think with a cdj you will find it hard to pull off long mixes with anything less than 0.5% pitch resolution.

I think I might wait until I actual start University then before buying anything, cos I remember when Pioneer 1000's were at 700 each like Ian has said. The Numark Axis 9's are another consideration but I don't like the aesthetics as much with those thats all.

At the moment I use a laptop, but as people know I use "Virtual DJ" and I have squeezed every last drop out of it's potential. The only thing is using a laptop infront of people doesn't seem like the right image, if you know what I mean. I feel like I'm checking my emails rather than DJ'ing :lol:

Another budget option is of course to use pizzas instead of CDJs. This will save you so much money:

musk3_pizza.jpg

Can't believe nobody suggested this in the first place, quite frankly.

I've got the 200s & I rate them very highly. As has been mentioned you miss out on the vinyl features but unless you want to be Eddie (which you probably do Simon!) then I don't see it as a requisite worth paying all that money for.

The fact that they are Pioneers makes the transition to playing out on 1000s extremely easy & you probably play better when playing out as they're such an upgrade on what you are used to.

I've got the 200s & I rate them very highly. As has been mentioned you miss out on the vinyl features but unless you want to be Eddie (which you probably do Simon!) then I don't see it as a requisite worth paying all that money for.

What vinyl features are these exactly?

What vinyl features are these exactly?

Simply put the 'Vinyl Mode' on the jog wheel, it allows you to interpret the CD more like a piece of vinyl with drag backs, scratching, etc

Simply put the 'Vinyl Mode' on the jog wheel, it allows you to interpret the CD more like a piece of vinyl with drag backs, scratching, etc

yerr anyone using cdjs in cd mode is missing the point

yerr anyone using cdjs in cd mode is missing the point

I don't think that's entirely true. If I'm playing out then I keep them in CD mode unless I need to flip it into vinyl mode for a specific reason, the jog wheel is easier to adjust in CD mode (for me personally) & if you accidentally knock it or push it a little too hard the result isn't as bad.

You can flip between the two within a mili-second anyway with the push of the button. Just personal preference I guess

I used to have CDJ-100's, so I used the CDJ mode to start with on my 1000's when I got them, but I now use them in vinyl mode. I find it quicker and easier to cue up, plus I always preferred the 'hands on' feel of vinyl - so the vinyl mode is the closest I can get to that. My mate always uses CDJ mode and can't use vinyl mode at all. Personal preference at the end of the day. There's no right or wrong way if the crowd get to hear what they want to hear.

I decided tonight I'm taking the laptop route............

That's one decision out the way, now which and what shall I buy!!

It's my birthday next month, what shall I put on my list? A guy I know uses, a laptop and virtual vinyl and decks, I'm thinking I wanna do that!! How much would that all cost, I defo wanna do it, coz I wanna get some action again! :) I had to turn something down this week simply because I can't drag all my stuff over there and then play mainly OLD tunes!!

I decided tonight I'm taking the laptop route............

That's one decision out the way, now which and what shall I buy!!

It's my birthday next month, what shall I put on my list?

Traktor Scratch Pro or the downsized, cheaper Traktor Scratch Duo. Ive oly got Pro 'cos Duo weren't out when i switched.

Traktor Scratch Pro or the downsized, cheaper Traktor Scratch Duo. Ive oly got Pro 'cos Duo weren't out when i switched.

What kinda cost is that?

I think I'll ask everyone to give me money for my birthday and I'll do a few Sundays for the rest!

Archived