HAS JULES GONE DOWNHILL?

dj9928

Listening back to old mixes from late 90's early 00's, The music was alot better back then, I can't really blame Jules I suppose, Trance in general seems to have went downhill, and certainly the tunes he plays now doesn't get the hairs standing on the back of your neck. I mean tunes like Freefall - Skydive, Delerium - Silence (Tiesto mix), there is nothing these days that compare. If i'm honest I think he plays alot of samey type records these days, I.E someone has done it before, The last tune he played that I really loved was that "Breakfast" tune can#t remember who it was by, but no he just doesn't get me the same way he used to, maybe I'm just getting old, I'm hitting 30 now

The music has changed yeah - there's still some good tunes around though.

Jules has gone massively downhill though - particularly over the last 2 years. Its a shame really because on his day, he's still superb - but unfortunately, those are few and far between now.

Armed with some good tunes, more thoughful mixes and less of the random set flow, he could quite easily regain a lot of that respect that he's lost in clubland.

I saw him three weeks ago, and it was possibly the worst set i'd ever heard him do - which was a shame :(

The music has changed yeah - there's still some good tunes around though.

Jules has gone massively downhill though - particularly over the last 2 years. Its a shame really because on his day, he's still superb - but unfortunately, those are few and far between now.

Armed with some good tunes, more thoughful mixes and less of the random set flow, he could quite easily regain a lot of that respect that he's lost in clubland.

I saw him three weeks ago, and it was possibly the worst set i'd ever heard him do - which was a shame :(

Jules is unpredictable as he played an amazing set @ Koola Bar, Newquay last Sat night, playing some great tunes, some l hadn't heard before yet his set @ BMC (last night) was too cautious as he played the same tunes as he's been playing on his R1 show for the past 4 weeks. He had a golden opportunity to be more adventurous but IMO failed!

Jules is unpredictable as he played an amazing set @ Koola Bar, Newquay last Sat night, playing some great tunes, some l hadn't heard before yet his set @ BMC (last night) was too cautious as he played the same tunes as he's been playing on his R1 show for the past 4 weeks. He had a golden opportunity to be more adventurous but IMO failed!

Thats his problem - inconsistency. When I saw him at the Ministry of Sound last November, it was like listening to the Jules of 2000 - long mixes, every tune complimented the other, great set flow - it was superb and a pleasure to listen to - and then his set a few weeks ago was the exact opposite - I couldn't wait to get out because he was so bad :(

lost alot of respect, most tunes are mixed "safely" but badly......what i mean is the easy parts are mixed, ie last 90 secs to the 1st min of the new tune, rightly so most tunes can be mixed that way, but when there a bit loose in the mix can sound pretty shoddy, when a dj commanding 4 figure sums cant hold 2 tunes together perfectly something is wrong, in essence he doesnt take risks in terms of the mixes anymore. i remember years ago hearing a mix from a radio1 dance party where he mixed delierium - silence into a york tune, and the mix was so perfect!

for the poor tune choice theres aanother thread on here, not going there, but the tune selection aint great.

also jules doesnt build a set anymore, more a case of roadtesting crap tracks to see whether they work, and then when they dont ronski speed - are you gets dropped to regain the crowd, imo thats how i see it.

Also one thing i noticed whether or not this is true or not i dunno, but on radio1 at weekend when he played b2b with richard durrand, richard seemed to play a bit more commercial to match jules style, then when durrand played solo he blew the roof off!

Jules has definately gone more commercial over the past few months. Perhap reality has hit home - perhaps he's realised that he's no longer a respectable name at the bigger brands such as Godskitchen, Gatecrasher, etc - and realises that his future lies at the more commercial venues.

He's shot himself in the foot really - the only reason he's not a respected DJ at the big clubs any more is because he insists on dropping Indie bootlegs at Trance venues.

Isn't BCM just a Ritzy in the sun though?

It varies - it caters for everyone really and always has. Some nights are commercial, cheesy foam nights and crap like that, and then on other nights, they'll do Cream nights, Gatecrasher nights, etc. Tiesto has a monthly residency there, and Armin was on when I was out there too - there were about three nights of "proper" music, and four nights or cheesy crap.

lost alot of respect, most tunes are mixed "safely" but badly......what i mean is the easy parts are mixed, ie last 90 secs to the 1st min of the new tune, rightly so most tunes can be mixed that way, but when there a bit loose in the mix can sound pretty shoddy, when a dj commanding 4 figure sums cant hold 2 tunes together perfectly something is wrong, in essence he doesnt take risks in terms of the mixes anymore.

Hmm, i have to disagree with this. I think the way tunes are structured now, you can't really make a mix sound good by mixing at unusual point like the days of old. Mainly because a lot of tunes build once then drop. Whereas 10 years ago, say, Lange remixes for example, were basically a 3:30minute tune just repeated twice, so you could mix fluidly out of the first drop, as when the live tune is dropping down for the second breakdown, the new tune coming in is building up - that was trademark Jules mixing, and something he used to play on. Tunes just aren't arranged like that anymore i dont think.

Hmm, i have to disagree with this. I think the way tunes are structured now, you can't really make a mix sound good by mixing at unusual point like the days of old. Mainly because a lot of tunes build once then drop. Whereas 10 years ago, say, Lange remixes for example, were basically a 3:30minute tune just repeated twice, so you could mix fluidly out of the first drop, as when the live tune is dropping down for the second breakdown, the new tune coming in is building up - that was trademark Jules mixing, and something he used to play on. Tunes just aren't arranged like that anymore i dont think.

One of the other problems is that Jules edits everything. He cuts a lot of the intros and outros out now to make them shorter, and sticks to short mixes. I bet Jules mixes for no longer than 40 seconds now, whereas ten years ago, he'd mix for 2 minutes or even more.

You know what though, there are some good tunes about still here and there, but NOWHERE NEAR like as many nor as good as they were, no where near!! I hate to be someone who says "it aint how it used to be" but IT AINT!!

It's just not cutting it!! :(

Alot of people doing something for fame or money, and not for love which is what they were doing it for.

It shows!

However I'm gonna say JULES was the GREATEST VINYL DJ EVER!!! :redface:

Yeah they are good, but they aint AS good!! :confused: and they've never been as good, so the fall from grace on them wasn't so high and therefore less noticable! :P

I don't think any are knocking out FULL sets of blinding future classics.

Also the speed aint there for me anymore........speed it up!!

(and don't wink at me Simon, this late at night, it does things to me ;) )

depends, some of the speed is there in tracks, iv got a lot of peaktime trance and tech trance tracks that range from 135-140 bpm.......it was once quoted years ago, that jules used to pitch it up in club gigs anyways to about +3 - 4% to get the energy rushing a bit, where as on radio or cd comps he would play at norm bpm. i remember reading this on a compilation cd, think it was one of the clubbed compilations.

I have being thinking myself for ages that Jules has progressively lost the plot over the last 2 years, and his 2 most recent sets on Radio 1 from Privilege Ibiza and BCM have been absolutely terrible. Does he even care what people reckon of his set any more? Be interesting to find out if he cares.

Trouble is.....................alot of people and I do mean ALOT of people are still big Jules fans, loving his sets, his mixes, his persona, alot of new clubbers and some old ones too. So even if people were to say to him this was bad, or that was a sham, for each one of us that might say it, there's still a hundred people telling him the oppsite. So why would he care, as long as you have some fans would you give a toss who they were. :whistling:

For instance if I said to you I didn't like your last mix, but 10 other people on here said it was great, would you bother to change anything?? :unsure: