HAS JULES GONE DOWNHILL?

dj9928

The big problem is, even if they weren't into his music, Jules was a DJ that everyone respected 10 years ago - hence how he became so big and hit "celebrity dj" status. Now, most clubbers cannot stand Jules. He comes on and kills a night through lack of set flow, too many indie bootlegs, and his most annoying habit is those attempts at scratching where he just drags the platter backwards and forwards, and his looping that he drags out for ages. It sounds nasty in clubs.

The worry thing is, Jules is oblivious to it. I've been to some places where the crowd are leaving or looking a bit "WTF?" on the dancefloor - and then on Jules's online diary, he's said "the crowd seemed up for it and my set seemed to go down well". Erm...., no Jules, it didn't.

When I saw him at the Ministry of Sound in November, he was amazing - just like the Jules of old, and then when I next saw him, he was shocking. Its amazing just how different the same DJ can be in such a short space of time.

Jules is a legend, and i've defended him in the past when he's had unfair criticism - but now, there are seriously big issues with Jules's sets, and they can't be defended because he could choose to put it right - but he's choosing to ignore it and carry on regardless.

Only a month until the DJ Mag Top 100 results - and i'd put money on us seeing Jules in his lowest position ever since the poll began. He'll be between 40-50 I reckon. Any higher, then he's a lucky man. Any lower, then he's obviously lost even more respect than I thought.

When he leaves Radio 1, he won't even be in the top 100 any more.

i still rate him, and i like the indie bootlegs - WHEN they are done in the style of Will Atkinson's (or Ali Wilson's for that matter) Kings Of Leon remixes. What i have a problem with, is the half baked mashups. I think If Jules dropped them, he'd be alright. I think personally, though, he needs someone else tofilter his tune for him. That seems to be his fundamental problem. He got someone who is, i gather, a more commercial electro house type DJ filtering for him, which is never going to please the trance heads. This i think, explains why his sound is more commercial than what it used to be.

Someone said on here a while back that Jules was the original "gateway" DJ... there for us at the time to showcase us the spell-binding spectrum of dance music on offer when we only had the radio on a cold Friday night.

...and it's opened everyone's ears to all sorts of other offshoots. He may be a flawed DJ but he's ultimately responsible for the dance bug in millions of people.

And I like that. :)

Someone said on here a while back that Jules was the original "gateway" DJ... there for us at the time to showcase us the spell-binding spectrum of dance music on offer when we only had the radio on a cold Friday night.

...and it's opened everyone's ears to all sorts of other offshoots. He may be a flawed DJ but he's ultimately responsible for the dance bug in millions of people.

And I like that. :)

He's fine see!!! :mrgreen: He can't be killing the night for everyone coz tons of people love him still...people used to say these exact same things to me, 10 yrs ago anyway.

BTW I said that 'gateway' thing I think. X

For instance if I said to you I didn't like your last mix, but 10 other people on here said it was great, would you bother to change anything?? :unsure:

i actually would take note though of your comments, as constructive criticism sometimes makes you better and lets you know where your going wrong. Trouble is some djs couldnt give a toss what negative comments are saying, even if its the majority of the major message-boards out there

Only a month until the DJ Mag Top 100 results - and i'd put money on us seeing Jules in his lowest position ever since the poll began. He'll be between 40-50 I reckon. Any higher, then he's a lucky man. Any lower, then he's obviously lost even more respect than I thought.

When he leaves Radio 1, he won't even be in the top 100 any more.

my guess will be even lower than that, i reckon 60-70's area

Jules cares what people say about him, he always has, but we all only play the tunes we like in the end, and some that he likes now, just simply aren't what we're liking.. That's that. I just don't like the Kings of Leon and other indie bands in my dance music, but as we've seen earlier in this thread, Moonman likes them!!

I love the tunes I play, and anyone else who likes those tunes would like my sets, however if you didn't like the tunes you wouldn't wanna hear them. Simple. But I wouldn't then be able to do another set of other tunes to suit your taste better. You would just have to find someone who's tunes you did like now.

It is a shame that some people feel this way, but it's just the way it is. :)

god someone please inform jules of this thread, id love him to have some say in the thread and let him ask us what we would like to hear and what to change etc, since we have been avid fans of his for a bit, and after all its a jj board

Jules cares what people say about him, he always has, but we all only play the tunes we like in the end, and some that he likes now, just simply aren't what we're liking.. That's that. I just don't like the Kings of Leon and other indie bands in my dance music, but as we've seen earlier in this thread, Moonman likes them!!

I agree with what you say and and would just like to add that saying: "One man's meat is another man's poison". We all have our likes and dislikes and l do like a few indie tunes, however Kings of Leon isn't one of them. :o

I'm still enjoying most of the tunes Jules plays that's why l still listen to his shows. Some weeks are better than others but agree with most of you that he playing too many bootlegs/mashups (playing the same ones week in week out) and ignoring some decent trance tunes which are being played by other dj's.

Jules is full of surprises and l hope he will be around for many years to come.