ATB Not playing For Planet Love, Alledgedly Cos of PVD

Ian_k

This is on a few forums, but whats peoples views on this?

Basically ATB wouldnt play in front of PVD at planet love, Theres 2 sides to this, promoters and ATB's, but ill quote ATB"s and the promoters.

as per ATB:-

ATB Twitter:

Unbelievable! I'm now at the Planet Love Festival! Its 10 pm, my scheduled playtime! But the organizer doesn't allow me to do my Gig because

Paul van dyk don't want me to play right before his set! If I would play now Paul told the organizers that he is not willing to play.

You will get more Information very soon! Sorry to all the Fans there waiting for me! Unbelievable!

ATB Forum:

You won´t believe what you will read now.

I..m just back in my hotelroom (05.09.2009, 10:30 PM), but actually I should be on stage at the Planet Love Festival in Belfast now.

The reality is, that the organizers just told me and my manager one our ago at the festival, that Paul van Dyk told them, that when I play (my contracted playtime was 10-12 PM) my set right before his set 12-2 AM, he will not play! So the organizers decided to throw me out of the lineup!

I just want to let you know, how people in this scene and business works and of course this will have consequences to all concerned parties!

I..m so sorry for all the fans out there, who wasn't able to see me.

Andre (atb)

More information about this night coming soon!

And finally:

# On my way now to New York. Playing Electric Zoo festival same time with Guetta! I'm in luck that Paul van dyk is not playing in NY! ;o)26 minutes ago from web

as per the promoter:-

OFFICIAL STATMENT:

ATB refuses to play Planetlove

It is with regret that I have to pen one of the worst unprofessional incidents we have encountered in almost 25 years of booking artists.

At 7pm on Saturday evening we respectfully asked ATB to help us with the smooth running of the show by playing his set at the festival from approximately 9pm to 11pm instead of his requested time of 10pm to 12midnight and he point blankly refused.

Instead he arrived at the site and chose to verbally abuse and threaten Judith, so much so that he had to be asked to calm down by his manager and security called as Judith feared that things would escalate further.

The facts are very simple. ATB chose not to play at all to the same crowd, in the same arena for the same two hour set rather than play one hour earlier!

I ask any rational person to try and relate to this.

He was paid in full, in advance, as where his flights and transport. He was treated with courtesy and respect but rather than play one hour earlier than he wanted to he hurled abuse, issued threats, wouldn’t play the new time and proceeded to blame PVD and was so convinced from the outset that it was PVD's doing that he even tried to coerce Judith into writing down that it was PVD’s fault. Paul Van Dyk did not even arrive at the venue until 11:45pm.

Never before has an artist refused to help with the smooth running of our shows and try and dictate what they should do. At the end of the day this show was about all artists and the people who went to enjoy them, not about one individual.

My thanks to the other artists, in particular Judge Jules, who did adapt to the time changes which facilitated the production crews the time to change over the defective generator during his set which was causing the problem in the first place. It is my belief that because of Jules help in the set time before 12 midnight that the change over was done in such a professional manner that I believe the crowd were not even aware that there was a problem. So simple when people work together.

Jeez!! Thats a wierd one. Whats the general opinion of the people on those forums you mentioned? Has ATB got previous for primadonna behaviour? Cant see how PVD would be threatened by him, unless its some personal agenda. Tend to believe the promoters though, as its pretty slanderous stuff if,they made it up. Crazy stuff though, obviously major grief backstage!

not sure, but check the thread on the matt hardwick board with there reply

http://www.matthardwick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29741&page=8

matt hardwick actually commented on this thread a bit with saying:-

Matt Hardwick

Like some of you have said, there are two sides to every story. I was there when this happened as I was playing the closing set later in the evening. My understanding of what transpired is somewhat different to what has been posted here. I don't want to comment because I would just be spreading rumours that I cant substantiate and that would be wrong. Lets just see what Paul has to say about the situation.

Can I say that I played with ATB in Germany earlier this year and he was extremely rude. He is the only DJ in my entire career who has managed to completely avoid talking to me or making any sort of eye contact with me when taking over the decks. He just sat on the stage looking in the opposite direction until I unplugged my headphones, he then just stood up and took over without even acknowledging me. I wouldn't mind, but there was only me and him on the stage, I couldn't help but laugh!!

Thanks for the post mate, makes very interesting reading. I tend to agree pretty much with what you've said elsewhere. I think ATB did act like a tool, and by splashing the whole thing over Twitter, it looks like he was trying to make himself look good before this story broke. Though there obviously must be some sort of tension between him and PVD, which also begs the question someone else asked; why was he asked to move his set time in the first place?

However, if he did act the way the promoters say he did, to a woman, then I hope he never gets back to play there again.

There have been two more statements today, one from both PL & ATB, once again both contradictory. There's obviously something much deeper going on with all of this & I think that the promoters only responded as ATB took it into the public domain by posting on twitter.

I can appreciate him wanting to convey to fans his lack of an appearance but really there are ways to do things & definately (as used in this example) ways of not doing things.

Even if he is telling the 100% defining truth his rep has taken a real knock due to all of this anyway. I don't see what he could gain from any of it

They should get a massive fight arranged, a cage match of sorts,

ATB vs PvD vs AvB vs Svd vs the RAF vs AC Milan vs the FIA vs MOS vs the KLF vs WWE vs UFC vs BBC vs BMI vs STD's vs a DVD of some TNT exploding a JCB right onto JOC's face.

I may have taken that a bit far there. Scored a bit of an OG. Argh for f*** sake, bedtime.

They should get a massive fight arranged, a cage match of sorts,

ATB vs PvD vs AvB vs Svd vs the RAF vs AC Milan vs the FIA vs MOS vs the KLF vs WWE vs UFC vs BBC vs BMI vs STD's vs a DVD of some TNT exploding a JCB right onto JOC's face.

I may have taken that a bit far there. Scored a bit of an OG. Argh for f*** sake, bedtime.

:lol: I'm suprised there are no BMW's involved, or some KFC for afters

Taken from http://www.dancefield.com/

Quote:

Dear friends of the electronic dance music,

My name is Werner Griese, I am the owner and director of the management, booking and event agency Dancefield.

For over 8 years, Dancefield has been a solid and reliable member of the electronic music scene, representing a variety of artists like for example Dr. Motte, Felix Kröcher, Lucca, Mauro Picotto and ATB.

Each weekend, with our worldwide partners, established through high quality, honest and trustworthy work, we schedule artists all over the globe. Furthermore, we have a long-established and trusty partnership with the Love Parade, Nature One, Mayday and the Alpha Festival.

Until today, I had the utmost faith in this electronic scene and especially in the people working within this scene. But sadly, last weekend I had to realize that there are black sheep in this scene who put their money aims above quality and foremost above your rights and wishes to have the promised party with the scheduled and booked artists.

As you all know, this weekend at the Planet Love Festival our artist ATB was scheduled to play a two hour set for you, other artists at the festival were Judge Jules, Marco V, Fedde le Grand and Paul van Dyk. For this performance, a booking contract was made between ATB and Planet Love Festival via Dancefield, in which ATB was contracted to be presented by the festival as the 2nd Headliner. Among other things, this contract specified a fixed time slot for ATB’s 2 hour performance from 22.00 hours - 00.00 hours. ATB was the only artist besides Paul van Dyk to be contracted with a 2 hour performance time.

Surprisingly, this Saturday evening (5th September 2009) I was called at our hotel by the festival shuttle services. I was asked by shuttle services if we could play at another time slot as there were delayed flights of some DJs who consequently wouldn’t make it on time to the festival. Generally, I have absolute understanding for situations like this and I always try to help, but it simply would not have been possible for us to make the proposed 20.45 – 22.00 time slot, as we were still at the hotel. Besides, it was not the contracted 2 hour performance time. And last but not least, I don’t know why the Planet Love promoter didn’t call me himself, he has my mobile number!

What is more, in my 15 years of working as a stage manager at the largest festivals and events in Germany, I have never encountered the situation that a headliner was moved from his contracted time slot to a shorter and earlier performance time. Arriving on the festival site, we tried to talk to the promoters to discuss and clarify the situation and to find a solution. But during the various talks, it became clear that in the run-up to the event the organisers were informed by Paul van Dyk that ATB was not to play directly before him, otherwise he threatened the organizers that he wouldn’t perform at the festival.

I was told this straight to my face and in front of many witnesses, and I have to say I am more than shocked by this!

The organizers told us that they have no possibility of changing this situation and they were very sorry about this. My question as to whether this was common practice and a basic example of how their organisation works, letting certain DJs decide who is to be contracted for the line-up and when they are to perform, was shamefully ignored and not answered.

In the end, the issue was not about changing artists in the line-up due to problems like delayed flights or other problems, but it was only about Paul van Dyk not wanting ATB to perform directly before him until 00.00 hours, because Paul van Dyk did not want this.

But now the promoters have started spreading wrong and false facts which I will not discuss in detail here. Such behaviour can not be tolerated and certainly will not be tolerated by me, as it throws an unfair light onto my artist who is innocently dragged through the dirt.

Sadly, Planet Love did not and still does not have the courage to stand up against someone who tries to dictate to them how to do their job. They are still continuing this behaviour after the event, which saddens me deeply.

Also, I do not understand why it is impossible for Paul van Dyk to have ATB play directly before him. Up to this very day, nobody can explain this to me. Such behaviour in our scene is absolutely intolerable, especially for you, the fans, the lovers of the music, who have paid to party and can expect to be treated respectfully.

Surely, everyone can understand that such a situation is simply not tolerable for us. Although the behaviour of the organizers and promoters put us into a state of shock, we did offer to play from 23.00 – 00.00 hours. But this offer was also refused by them due to the instructions given to them by Paul van Dyk.

You can be assured that this decision of not performing was not easy for us at all, and I feel very sorry for all the fans. Everyone who knows me and ATB is well aware that we always do everything to make a gig possible, but in this case even with our willingness to help and our offers to solve the situation, it was just not possible.

Finally, I want to make clear that at no time during the discussions were there securities present or in the vicinity or even necessary, and that at no time were threats issued by ATB or myself towards the organisers/promoters or their staff.

We want to clearly dissociate ourselves from the allegations made by the promoters/organizers of the Plant Love Festival at this time.

This event will leave a black spot in our memories, because in the end the people who got really hurt are you, the fans. And that surely is something we never ever want to happen!

Yours faithfully

Werner Griese (CEO Dancefield)

I think I'll wade in here!

From what I understand from the above, the contract stated that PvD headlined the event with a 2 hour set from 00.00 midnight, preceded by ATB with a 2 hour set from 10pm, as agreed in the contract. The other DJs were contracted to 1 hour sets.

It would then appear that ATB, having been contractually agreed to the 2nd headliner spot, was asked to start 1 hour earlier (from 9pm instead) and was not happy with the set change because it would instead place him 3rd in line and allow another DJ to leapfrog him - but for no clear reason. Because he could see no justification in the change he stuck by the contract and refused to play, which he is perfectly entitled to do, albeit at the detriment of the fans who had turned up to see him play.

If PvD was delayed by flight difficulties as suggested by Werner Griese (above), then it would appear ATB has been pretty unreasonable in not allowing his set time to be flexible; if not, then I would suggest that Dancefield (representing ATB) are fully entitled to adhere by the signed contract agreed with the organizers.

Although in my opinion neither side has been entirely professional in how they've gone about the incident, at the end of the day a contract is a contract, and that's the end of it for me.

The eventual winner here is actually Jules, who I imagine played the longest set of the night! :mrgreen:

More opinions please! :)

Sorry Neuro, you replied I was typing that.

My opinion is, its the promoter's night, full stop. Contract or no contract, the dj, who the promoter is paying good money for, should be as flexible as common sense permits, just like in any other job.

Its really not rocket science, even after alleged statements from 4 different parties, I still cannot see what the big deal is. Pram. Spat. Toys. From.

I can't even believe these people are adults, its insane.

Although in my opinion neither side has been entirely professional in how they've gone about the incident, at the end of the day a contract is a contract, and that's the end of it for me.

The eventual winner here is actually Jules, who I imagine played the longest set of the night! :mrgreen:

More opinions please! :)

Jules also saved the day at Global Gathering as ATB was down to play after Jules @ 7pm-8.30pm but didn't turn up so Jules played from 5.30pm-8.00pm, an extra hour) and another DJ filled in until Sander Van Doorn turned up at 8.30pm.

Jules couldn't stay any longer as he had to get up to Blackpool for his gig at the Syndicate. I was there so l know ATB didn't turn up and Jules also mentioned it in his weekly tour diary.

TBH l don't really know who to believe, one of them is lying.

They should just bloody get on with it. They are paid to do their job and the people buying tickets to see them pay that wage so they should just do it, and whine about it afterwards like the rest of the working population has to.

Apart from that, I have seen both of these DJ's and ATB's set would probably have been a bit more exciting that PVD's anyway, as he looks like Frank Butcher and what could be more amusing than Frank Butcher playing a trance set in front of your eyes! ATB shoulda been happy to play at 9pm anyway!! :oddcake:

this will answer all your questions, taken from the anjunabeats forum:-

http://www.anjunabeats.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33937&st=150&start=150

Dear friends of the electronic dance music,

My name is Werner Griese, I am the owner and director of the management, booking and event agency Dancefield.

For over 8 years, Dancefield has been a solid and reliable member of the electronic music scene, representing a variety of artists like for example Dr. Motte, Felix Kröcher, Lucca, Mauro Picotto and ATB.

Each weekend, with our worldwide partners, established through high quality, honest and trustworthy work, we schedule artists all over the globe. Furthermore, we have a long-established and trusty partnership with the Love Parade, Nature One, Mayday and the Alpha Festival.

Until today, I had the utmost faith in this electronic scene and especially in the people working within this scene. But sadly, last weekend I had to realize that there are black sheep in this scene who put their money aims above quality and foremost above your rights and wishes to have the promised party with the scheduled and booked artists.

As you all know, this weekend at the Planet Love Festival our artist ATB was scheduled to play a two hour set for you, other artists at the festival were Judge Jules, Marco V, Fedde le Grand and Paul van Dyk. For this performance, a booking contract was made between ATB and Planet Love Festival via Dancefield, in which ATB was contracted to be presented by the festival as the 2nd Headliner. Among other things, this contract specified a fixed time slot for ATB’s 2 hour performance from 22.00 hours - 00.00 hours. ATB was the only artist besides Paul van Dyk to be contracted with a 2 hour performance time.

Surprisingly, this Saturday evening (5th September 2009) I was called at our hotel by the festival shuttle services. I was asked by shuttle services if we could play at another time slot as there were delayed flights of some DJs who consequently wouldn’t make it on time to the festival. Generally, I have absolute understanding for situations like this and I always try to help, but it simply would not have been possible for us to make the proposed 20.45 – 22.00 time slot, as we were still at the hotel. Besides, it was not the contracted 2 hour performance time. And last but not least, I don’t know why the Planet Love promoter didn’t call me himself, he has my mobile number!

What is more, in my 15 years of working as a stage manager at the largest festivals and events in Germany, I have never encountered the situation that a headliner was moved from his contracted time slot to a shorter and earlier performance time. Arriving on the festival site, we tried to talk to the promoters to discuss and clarify the situation and to find a solution. But during the various talks, it became clear that in the run-up to the event the organisers were informed by Paul van Dyk that ATB was not to play directly before him, otherwise he threatened the organizers that he wouldn’t perform at the festival.

I was told this straight to my face and in front of many witnesses, and I have to say I am more than shocked by this!

The organizers told us that they have no possibility of changing this situation and they were very sorry about this. My question as to whether this was common practice and a basic example of how their organisation works, letting certain DJs decide who is to be contracted for the line-up and when they are to perform, was shamefully ignored and not answered.

In the end, the issue was not about changing artists in the line-up due to problems like delayed flights or other problems, but it was only about Paul van Dyk not wanting ATB to perform directly before him until 00.00 hours, because Paul van Dyk did not want this.

But now the promoters have started spreading wrong and false facts which I will not discuss in detail here. Such behaviour can not be tolerated and certainly will not be tolerated by me, as it throws an unfair light onto my artist who is innocently dragged through the dirt.

Sadly, Planet Love did not and still does not have the courage to stand up against someone who tries to dictate to them how to do their job. They are still continuing this behaviour after the event, which saddens me deeply.

Also, I do not understand why it is impossible for Paul van Dyk to have ATB play directly before him. Up to this very day, nobody can explain this to me. Such behaviour in our scene is absolutely intolerable, especially for you, the fans, the lovers of the music, who have paid to party and can expect to be treated respectfully.

Surely, everyone can understand that such a situation is simply not tolerable for us. Although the behaviour of the organizers and promoters put us into a state of shock, we did offer to play from 23.00 – 00.00 hours. But this offer was also refused by them due to the instructions given to them by Paul van Dyk.

You can be assured that this decision of not performing was not easy for us at all, and I feel very sorry for all the fans. Everyone who knows me and ATB is well aware that we always do everything to make a gig possible, but in this case even with our willingness to help and our offers to solve the situation, it was just not possible.

Finally, I want to make clear that at no time during the discussions were there securities present or in the vicinity or even necessary, and that at no time were threats issued by ATB or myself towards the organisers/promoters or their staff.

We want to clearly dissociate ourselves from the allegations made by the promoters/organizers of the Plant Love Festival at this time.

This event will leave a black spot in our memories, because in the end the people who got really hurt are you, the fans. And that surely is something we never ever want to happen!

Yours faithfully

Werner Griese (CEO Dancefield)