CD Decks....

Bjorn

righty, ive been doin sum thinkin and talkin and im thinkin of gettin a cd deck.......

i was stuck in two minds over whether to get sum 2nd hand 1210's or 1 decent cd deck...

and i think im gonna get a cd deck, what u sayin??

Well i have been pointed towards the pioneer cdj800 which looks very nice to me and i think i can afford it (soon!)

Do u guys have cd decks?

what do u recommend??

cheers

bjorn

MATE - JOIN THE CLUB........ :lol::lol::lol:

I have my decks for roughly 3 years now and have loved every moment with them. They have brought me my years of entertainment and have also gained me radio shows in university and many gigs.

I feel I am now at the stage to go further and think my DJ'ing hobby has more potential. I think these CD-J's are the next advancement for me and they can offer you much more dexterity.

I have contemplated exactly like what you are on about and after much thought I have decided to make the transition dj to cd-j! I even emailed jules about this and he believes that the transition is inevitable for all djs.

I am thinking of selling my complete setup (Trail knows the drill all about this!) and making the transition. I think pioneers are definately leading the way and the 800's are ideal. There is quite a hefty price gap between the 800's and 1000's (despite loving to own a pair!!).

I will designing an auction page and most likely selling em on eBay as this way a much bigger audience will able to view them.

But all in all Cd-j's are definately the way forward :o:o:o

I have bog standar uns Citronic CDs-1's which have jog wheels, okay for general messing about on, no scratch ability/vinyl-esque cue a bility though.

I am aiming by the end of the year to have the CDs-6's

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR126288

which have proper scratch wheels and effects to rival Pioneer.

Pioneer have just brought out a £400ish version the CDJ-200

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR149815

that looks good for the cheaper end of the market especially with the mp3 playability.

Yeah CDJ's are the way forward, problem being for transition is finding space to store 2000 odd CDR's with my entire vinyl collection ripped on!,

I will keep my vinyl though when I go completey CD if that ever happens, it's cost me so much over the years to get many gems n that, i couldnt live without them.

Im the same. When I can afford it I will no doubt change over to CD's but wouldnt sell my vinyl collection. I know i'd regret it and it would be good to keep the skill of mixing on decks whilst learning how to do so on CD decks. If anyone reads Jules' diary he wrote a piece once about being passed a vinyl copy of 'caned and unable' on vinyl when in a club. He tried to mix it but f***e*d up because he was out of practice. Would be good to be able to do both although in a couple of years I would expect clubs to have only CD decks. Vinyl is being phased out faster by the big jocks but I cant see CD's taking over completely for a few years.

i think im just gonna get the one cd deck for now, therefore i can mix cd's and vinyl as its just more practical - downloading mp3's is o much cheaper than buying vinyl - however some tunes come out on vinyl before mp3, or vice versa so i think im gonna stick with the combo!!

I have 2 cdj 1000's and they wipe the floor with the 12". u can do everyting on them that u can do with 12" can get music quicker and easier. more is avaiable on mp3 format. its easier to take a few cd's to a gig then a load of records. ahhi could go on.....

We are witnessing a the exact transition of vinyl to CD, with regard to electronic music; however, there will always be die-hard fans of the 'satisfaction' of vinyl and the traditionalism, so I believe it will take a very long time for it to completely disappear.

CD decks are everywhere now - with regard to the more scratch-orientated DJs, will they succomb to the CD bug too???

I have a set of axis 9's and set of 1210's, never gonna get rid of the 1210's cos it just wouldnt be right (& I don't have enough time to convert all my vinyl on to cd)

Have tryed getting funds to swich over to cdj100's but no one wants to buy my 2k sound system :( any ideas?

I have 2 cdj 1000's and they wipe the floor with the 12". u can do everyting on them that u can do with 12" can get music quicker and easier. more is avaiable on mp3 format. its easier to take a few cd's to a gig then a load of records. ahhi could go on.....

and???? paying money fro promo downloads can ctually be as pricey if not more than buying normal promos or whatever, so catch 22 in many cases.

can get music quicker and easier-not always once again, all depends.

More is available on mp3 format, not always if you're saying many classics are then think again (well yes illegally, but not legally!).

When Simply Vinyl do their entire catolouge as mp3's things will be better.

You're completly pro CD's 100% thats what youre into fair enough, cant beat spinning a circular slab of plastic though, give me that any day.

I go for best of both. 2 record decks and 2 Cd decks, for my home use anyways. The better of the two decks is an Axis 9, which is a great medium level deck, although best to go for the CDJ800's (my next purchase I think) since it is good value for the professional level of performance they provide.

It doesn't bother me mixing with vinyl on my radio show, although I wish that the studio did have Cd decks, mostly so I'd be able to use the latest MP3s etc in my mixes. So maybe a total conversion is possible in the future, but yes, I do feel the satisfaction of buying and being able to mix vinyl.

yeah, cheers guys, thats what im thinkin, best of both im thinkin, get the one cdj-800 with looking towards getting another in the future some time!!

mp3's save u a lot of money and add another 'dimension' if u like to djing capacity...

cheers

yeah, actually i was meaning to ask bout them - i remember jules talking bout one in a diary report - one he helped launch i think, anyone know this one??

Ones i know of are:

ATS Digital - by the same people as Above The Sky :twisted: :twisted:

AudioJelly

ID&T

Anjunabeats...

I was a hardcore traditionalist till a few weeks back. The so-far non-released mix of Speed of Sound, has made me change my mind. If I'd got CD deck(s) I could have burnt it to CD by now and be playing it. Fuull stop.

However, I am not keen on 'owning' copied stuff on CD. I would still buy it on vinyl if possible and keep it in an unplayed condition. I like to have a collection that means something to me.

I guess by Xmas, I'll be playing a mix of vinyl/CDs

I don't illegally download now, I did up untill like feb, It was'nt all the hot new promos I used to download but older and rarer to get hold of stuff.

I'm now in the process of buying the officially released formats (vinyl or CD) of all the stuff I illegally downloaded, I'll then chuck the cd's afterwards.

It was just conveinience I did it really, all my mates were downloading stuff, wanted to be a part of it I spose.

At some point I will buy legal downloads, they'll be stuff I can't get hold of normally or not bothered about having on vinyl.

I know the record industry make a killing, but I think our genre/pigeon hole/whatever doesn't make so much. Its definitely gone more underground from the late 90's and therefore the artists don't get the recompense they should. Therefore I am happy to download illegally, and buy it later when it is possible to get on vinyl. I don't play out, so its not as though I'm making money out of it.

(BTW my next promo CD will be £5 each to cover rising costs :wink: :wink: :D )

that is true steve - my mate (who lives in ware) - where??? Is a guy called spor - he's an up and coming DnB producer/dj under one of renegade hardware's labels, i don;t know if any of you lot follow drum and bass at all but he's quite well known and he hasn'y really been producing that long. He's had about 5 or releases so far, a couple are remixes and he was tellin me the other day he's still owed by his label for all his tunes - apparently he's only gonna get a couple of hundred for each remix and about a grand for each of his own releases - not that much really is it considering his tunes are about £5/6 each and they've sold a lot - check out juno bestsellers - he's on there!!!

Bit mad really - i'd be interested to know how much dormuse wud have made if his bottleg had been released and karl g if his remix gets released!!

Yeah, some good points there. Can you be in this game and make a reasonable living without having to be a so-called Superstar DJ :?: Surely with the exposure on Jules' show that Karl is getting, it must be a reasonable earner? Will it be on a commission basis, or here's "£xxx to let us press it, now bugger off... ":?: :?:

eactly steve, i wonder if karl the man will shed some light after his release.....

I can see why artists seem to get such a small amount - so much money go's to the label, so much goes int othe production of the record (with vinyl its quite a lot i suppose), some goes into copyrighting and then finally the producer gets a little slice!! I think my mate said he gets commission, but its an absoloutly rediculius amount - talking 0.005p per record or sumthing!!

Victorian :lol: My @rse :!:

They were sort of 70s I think, then had a reprieve in the 90's. I remember seeing a shop in my home town with really rubbish stuff that you could claim back with the stamps you'd collected.

I may have gone past my student days, but there's plenty of life in me yet :lol:

Archived