Looking for an MP3

Oh right... well I certainly noticed this happen as all of a sudden all the dance releases had 2 parts, each with 3 mixes on. I just thought they were being greedy and trying to get 2 sales out of people who wanted all the mixes. A 20 minute rule would explain why this happened. However, as I just said it would have generated 2 sales to some customers if they wanted more mixes so actually I can't imagine it would have made any real difference. So it probably was a money making excercise after all... most things usually are.

CIN as the Official Charts Company was known back in 1998 implemented this 20 minute per format rule for them to be chart eligable which resulted with loads of versions on vinyl being either faded out or edited down so 3 versions could be fitted on a 12", supposedly this was to help out all these pop acts so they didnt have to churn out loads of b sides or something equally as daft.

Examples of records I bought during this period and still own:

Fool Boona-Popped both the Original and Trever Reilly Mixes are faded out, Jules Mix is full length.

Camisra-Clap Your Hands, The B side are the Jonesy mixes of Let Me Show You which are both faded out

Southside Spinners-Luvstruck The Atlantis ITA Mix is faded out

CD singles examples

Tin Tin Out-Sometimes the Matt Darey Mix is faded out

Things got better when the labels edited the tracks down but left them still mixable rather than just fading them around like 6 minutes in

Big Room Girl-Raise Your Hands the Fire Island Mix is edited but still mixable

Faithless-God Is A DJ, all 4 versions are edited, I only found out years later that the original version is actually 2 minutes longer! the other mixes were obviously edited but still playable

But there we are some of the versions faded out on vinyl were lef tfull length on the CD singles, so Vinyl wise, its a case of buy the promos for the full length versions.

There was this whole thing in the news about Space Cowboy-I Would Die 4 U, Southern Fried made a mistake by putting one more track on the CD, so it didnt count in the singles chart, it sold well though!

wow you learn something new ever day as they say. Thanks for the insight Jason.

I can now think of examples from my collection:

Jonah - '(Ssst) Listen' [VC] - this really annoys me to this day - the original fades out so you have to mix out between the breakdowns. I looked at buying a promo or import off discogs but last I checked the only released which look to have the full un-faded version were really expensive...

I always wondered this. Thanks for the info, sir Jason.

So this explains why all those CD singles I bought would have radio edits of the mixes I was always after. :wall: