Despite people saying good trance tunes are out there!

Number2Fan

I have been today playing many of my older favourites and no matter how good a trance tune somebody makes today, and I do like some of them, they don't even come close to a track like Nebuchan, Choral Reef, Airwave, Church of Ra in fact any of the oldies are worth at least ten of todays trance tunes. Breakdowns that just make me wanna close my eyes, and they make my stomach churn over.

As I play them today, my teenage daughter is asking who they're by, and what they're called in an effort to try and get them, I don't think that's gonna happen in fifteen years with todays trance tracks.

Obviously I'm a bit emotional as I'm playing Fridge - Angel atm, but I just had to vent my feelings.

:)

A DAMN GOOD RECORD, will forever always be that!!

Whenever I have people round, and we have a spin on the decks, it's always the older stuff that gets the best reaction, even from people who've never heard the stuff before. I always think it's just because I personally have such a rose tinted view of the time, and as such try to not focus on older stuff, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I had a mate over who's well into his thirties, never really was into dance and he was going ape-sh#t to the older stuff when it was played, so it's not just a younger generation who maybe into dance anyway. Madness!

No and actually MBK that's a good point. My daughter, and many of my teenage work colleagues, and in fact a good friend of mine who is older than me, were never into "dance" music particularly, but do know how to appreciate music, may never have heard some of these records before hearing my iPod on shuffle or firing up the decks, etc suddenly find themselves enjoying dance music. :)

Most of the older trance gems are so intricate in detail and have greater melodic qualities, with pumping beats and euphoric breakdowns. I don't think you can get better than what we've already had. :)

Thats why I ditched Trance. Every Trance tune is 'disposable' these days. Can't say i've heard one tune that stands out and could be regarded as a classic since 2006.

Every producer is copying another producer, and they're all too busy jumping on bandwagons (such as 133bpm Trouse nonsense) rather than doing their own thing to stand out.

Its all very formulaic too. Intro for 1m 30s, short breakdown, 2m build up, breakdown, 1m 30s outro. Yawnnnnnnnnn.

What happened to unique tunes such Papua New Guinea - Future Sound of London, Storm - Storm, etc that were very much one of a kind, genre-defying and could never be copied? You just dont get those one-off tunes any more :(

Personally, and this is far from me saying I'm great, etc, I'm glad that I have moved on from trance.

I can still revel in the sounds that I loved (up until around 2006) and do not find myself lamenting the demise of the genre, largely as I now play, listen to and enjoy a genre completely removed from trance.

I haven't listened to a contemporary trance DJ for ages and I'm glad, why should I? If I want trance done right then I can stick on an older mix/CD and if I want cutting edge new music then I listen to something I actually like!

Yeah well I don't listen to today's stuff really, I do hear a track here and then, but it is so boring, I think the last trance track I liked was LED let there be light, I listen to all sorts of stuff as a rule, always have, I don't disregard any genres I think they all have something to offer, even pop. And I don't care if it's old or new usually, but we really did experience a golden era in dance music, and whenever I turn up an old trance track I realise again, just how amazing that music is!! :)

And so is Gary Barlow :wub:

many of the producers who made the classics way back when probably don't make tracks anymore, and the long standing lot like van buuren have just gone with the current flow as it's changed. although he can play some good 140bpm stuff in the second part of his state of trance show.

a friend of mine knows a lot of trance from about 2002-4 way back from when i introduced him to it when we were at the end of school, and he knows the obvious big tracks from before then thanks to dance anthems. but i threw together a mix with some older tracks on like playa sol and join me to the moon, and he was blown away by them.

a lot of people i know through him are having a new found appreciation for the trance classics whenever i play them before we head out on a weekend sometimes. i have to remember they are only 20ish, and i was into that type of stuff before i should of been. so to them it's new music.

I've been saying it for a while, on another forum, that Trance lost its identity years ago. if you compare the Trance of 2012 to the Trance of 1998/1999, its like listening to entirely different genres.

Trance used to be all about big powerful, heavily synthezised, emotional riffs - but now its all very 'basic'. Its not very emotional, not very powerful, and hardly has any powerful synthesized riffs.

The Gouryella remix of Binary Finary - 1999, to me, sums up what Trance should be. Very powerful. Heavily synthesized, good hearty Trance.

Although I quit DJ'ing a while ago now, it still buy tunes occasionally when I really like something - but 95% of the time, the tunes that I do buy now are Hardgroove Techno. I like my music with some balls - and Trance no longer offers that. The only Trance tune i've bought over the past 12 months or so is John O'Callaghan - Psychic Sensor (Indecent Noise remix) - and if you listen to that, it has a very deep, melodic, 1999 kind of sound to it - and thats why I like it.

Yeah I mean, I know you don't like Dubstep Briggsy but I have to say I really enjoy a lot of proper Dubstep tunes, and a fair bit of the DnB that's coming out now reminds me of the oldskool DnB but with better sounds and better production, so I'm listening to a lot of Hospital Records. As my new stuff goes anyway.

I find it has the 'balls' I want it to have, and the biggest reason I was ever into dance music was coz I love dancing and I can really get into that stuff now. :)

Sometimes Kutski plays a fair few belters, the kind of things Jules may have picked up on, in times gone by.

New trance seems all the same and gets boring quite a bit. i dont know why it lost its way but im gutted it did. it seems like all of the good dance institutions went with it with the exception of those that went commercial, which are now shadows of their former selves. thats evolution i suppose. it dont mean we have to like it though!