Speed Garage

lyndon

Can anyone elaborate on this anymore?

Some of Judge Jules' first Radio 1 shows have a fair amount of speed garage on them. But from what I can tell, it seems to fizzle out around the middle of 1998. Well as far as Jules is concerned, so I assume it sort of died out from the mainstream until '2-step' garage came to the fore in late 1999. And Jules never bothered with that strain of things, guess it was too 'Urban'.

I remember tracks like 'R.I.P Groove' & 'Gunman' that got into the mainstream, but it seemed to come and go within the space of less than 2 years. I never got to properly understand dance music until around 1999 so it's not really part of my memory.

Speed garage was the 'in' thing for a while. It was new, fresh, and a lot of it was British based, which was to be proud of. Funny, I just bought an old Essential Selection, Pete Tong cd the other week, a good 40/50% of it was forms of speed garage. In comparable terms, it's a lot like dubstep. A sub-genre that sits side by side with most forms of dance. Many of the big tunes of the time would've had a speed garage remix thrown in, as a lot of tunes have dubstep mixes now. A track that inspired a lot of it was such a track; Armin Van Heldens version of Tori Amos' Professional widow, and his mix of Spin Spin Sugar. I'd say dubstep has more longevity though, although it remains to be seen.

It followed a very basic formula. Long minimal intos, just the beat and (normally) a drum and bass snare, time stretch sample. Breakdown, then the main part kicked, the bassline; a heavy jungle style one. Some of it was excellent, but with a formula that basic, it was always going to die a death pretty quickly unless things changed, which it didn't, it evolved into other genres, notably the garage which went mainstream later and suffered a similar fate.

I loved a lot of it, my mate used to have collect loads of vinyls of it, but remember going out a night and the dj played an unexpected speed garage set the whole night, and thinking how boring it got after a while, and that shone through in the genre as a whole. Fun while it lasted, but nothing earth shattering.

Will try put up a few tunes later (if I can remember the names).

Whilst we're here, some time ago Moonman on here posted a 30 minute UK garage mix, just dug it out here for people's perusal: :)

https://soundcloud.com/budders/uk-garage-mix-mixed-by-buddaz

Tracklisting and original thread here:

http://www.judgejulesarchive.co.uk/archives/board/index.php?showtopic=6587

I like a lot of the 2 step stuff, that was around when I was well into dance music. I did collect some Artful Dodger stuff on vinyl, also have 'Love Shy' too that's in that mix. Like I said above though, Jules never seemed to bother with the 99-2000 stuff, just the 97 stuff it seems.

I did a mix 12 months ago of what I regard as 'speed garage'. Couldn't fit them all into 80 mins, but there are a few in there:-

http://www.mixcloud.com/lyndonedwards/90s-speed-garage-classics-mixed-by-lyndon-edwards/